Saturday, March 21, 2009

"Oops" Paint

Times are tough out there, but we also need to do some things to perk up our spirits. Spring has sprung! Whether you just purchased your new home or not, you look around the house and it needs some "perking up". Painting can make dramatic changes with minimal costs.

One of my favorite money saving paint tips is to check out the "oops" paint. Each time I go into a store that sells paint, I walk through the paint department. It is true many times I walk on by, but other times I have found, not only my best deals, but my favorite colors! Excellent paint is sold for ridiculously low prices, perhaps someone made a mistake when mixing it or the person ordering it changed their mind. I have often purchased quarts of paint for $2 ; $5 for a gallon; $15 for five gallon container.

I have never been disappointed by the paint that I have purchased this way. In fact, the paint that I loved the most, both in quality and color was a "boo-boo". The greatest part of buying this way, if you would ever need more of the color, the stores can "scan" a sample of the paint and re-mix it to the exact combination (granted, the addition may not be $5), but certainly removes the fear of running short in the middle of my project.

3 comments:

  1. After reading this I went to Home Depot and bought a quart of sage green for $1.00! Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love sage green..a great neutral!
    Keep hunting...you'll find many more of these!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are places that sell recycled paint, too. When paint is dropped off at a recycling center in our area, it is sent to the local sheltered workshop. People with disabilities open each can, inspect the quality, and if it is still good, it is strained and mixed with other paint.

    I recently repainted my finished basement, including a family room, bedroom, two hallways, a walk-in closet, and a bathroom. I bought four 5 gallon buckets of paint at $30 a bucket, a huge savings over store prices.

    The paint was good quality interior latex - made from name brands. In two coats, it even covered black stenciling in the bedroom.

    It was a real win-win. I got good paint at a great price, people with disabilities are paid to produce it, the agency benefits from the profits, and it is a real green solution.

    ReplyDelete